Site MapLinksDonateContactFont Size Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Restore Font Size
TRAC logo

8am - 4pm

Vancouver Area

Outside the
Lower Mainland


Donate Online Now
Donate Online Now
Donate Online Now



Home > Information For Tenants > Finding a Lawyer 

Finding a Lawyer

Do I need a lawyer for a Residential Tenancy Branch dispute resolution hearing?

Tenants do not usually go to a Residential Tenancy Branch hearing with a lawyer; the process is designed so that you can represent yourself. However, if you are going to the BC Supreme Court, you will want to try to get legal advice and representation from a lawyer. Here are some resources:

Dial-A-Law / Lawyer Referral Service

The Lawyer Referral Service is a program that assists people seeking legal advice. Individuals are referred to a participating lawyer who provides a half-hour consultation for a $25 fee (taxes not included). After the initial consultation, the individual may choose whether or not to retain the services of the lawyer at the lawyer's regular price. Lawyer Referral Service's hours of operation are Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm. Call 604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919 (toll-free).

Dial-A-Law is a free service offering a library of transcripts on specific topics of law in British Columbia. Prepared by lawyers, these transcripts are available in English, Chinese, and Punjabi. Transcripts are accessible 24 hours a day by telephone at 604.687.4680 or 1.800.565.5297 (toll-free). Scripts are now available online in digital audio format.


Representing Yourself in Supreme Court

Justice Education Society has developed a series of Civil Guidebooks to help British Columbians bring their case forward in Supreme Court. They provide information about civil, non-family matters.  You can view all 26 documents here.

Other Resources


If you're looking for more general legal information, visit Clicklaw to view a wide range of multilingual resources on a variety of legal topics.


Donate Online Now